My Oscar Picks 2016: Best Original Song + Best Original Score
My selections for the 2016 Academy Award for Best Original Song, in order of preference. The official reminder list of eligible songs can be found here.
1. “The Veil” from Snowden (Peter Gabriel)
2. “The Great Beyond” from Sausage Party (Alan Menken, Glenn Slater, Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg)
3. “Drive It Like You Stole It” from Sing Street (Gary Clark)
4. “You’re Welcome” from Moana (Lin-Manuel Miranda)
5. “City of Stars” from La La Land (Justin Hurwitz, Benj Pasek and Justin Paul)*
*Note: I believe “Someone in the Crowd” to be the best song from La La Land, but it was ineligible; “City of Stars” is my second choice.
My selections for Best Original Score are also preferentially listed; the reminder list of eligible musical scores can be found here.
1. La La Land – Justin Hurwitz
2. The Magnificent Seven – James Horner (posthumously) and Simon Franglen
3. Nocturnal Animals – Abel Korzeniowski
4. The BFG – John Williams
5. Moonlight – Nicholas Britell